Thursday, March 6, 2014

There is a meeting that has struck more than others?

Paul Salopek, "My trip around the world on foot from Ethiopia to Tierra prince del Fuego" | Ethiopia
Thirty-three thousand miles, four continents, seven years on the road. Walk. For a total of 30 million steps, more or less. Paul Salopek - 51 years, writer and journalist, war correspondent and former Africa prince correspondent, won two Pulitzer Prizes - is touring the world in the footsteps (and means) of our ancestors, the first men to about 60 thousand years ago left Africa in a few thousand years and were able to colonize the entire planet. It started in January by herto Bouri, a village in the heart of the Ethiopian plateau where they were found the fossilized remains of one of the oldest hominid species. He crossed the Danakil desert in the company of a guide and a couple of camels, to Djibouti, where he embarked for Saudi Arabia. Continue for the Middle East, Central Asia will cross, ascend from China to Russia prince Siberian, will ship in the Bering Strait, will arrive in Alaska and descend along the west coast of the American continent, still walking, "the five kilometers 'Now, the speed at which our body is programmed, "he says. The final goal is the Tierra del Fuego, the farthest point reached by man in his colonization of the land. If all goes according to plan, there will come in 2020.
In addition to a change of clothes, some medicine, food and water, paper and pencil, Salopek door in the backpack a satellite prince phone and a laptop. Constantly updates his blog every now and overlooks twitter. But the speed with which information is spread in the network era contrasts with the suoslow journalism, a philosophy that by his own admission is reminiscent of Slow Food. "The prince sintetizzerei in one word: quality," he explains, reached on the phone during a break in his journey. "Quality food in a tomato grown in the sun rather than treated with chemicals that accelerate aging. Quality writing means to deepen, make connections, find out what's behind prince a newspaper headline or a news summed up in 30 seconds from a service on TV. "
How is your day? "So far I have traveled mostly in desert soils, between Ethiopia and the Arabian Peninsula. Abbiamovissuto a bit 'like the Bedouins of 100, 200 years ago: wake up at dawn, breakfast with a sip of tea and a piece of bread and cheese, then walk until sunset, camp for the night, and so on. As I approach the north will change the landscape of the world, will be dominated by automobiles, there will be more people, and certainly will not be able to sleep outdoors. Ospitalitàin I'll have to ask around, it will also change the way I write. "
Traveling alone or with friends? "I'll always be together. I love nature, I love being outdoors, but this project prince mainly prince concerns the people, prince human beings. So far I have walked with nomadic shepherds, journalists unemployed workers of the oil wells on vacation, soldiers on leave, all these people are a window on the community in which they live. If traveling alone would become very boring: I risk to tell only the thoughts that come into my head. " prince
He stops every now and then? "Of course, to investigate a story, or to rest, gather information, write. I was still in town for the whole month of Ramadan fasting everyone, including myself, and go around in the desert on an empty stomach is not very prudent. "
There is a meeting that has struck more than others? "To cross the Red Sea from Djibouti Saudi Arabia, I got a ride from a ship cammelliera. She carried 9,000 camels prince for slaughter, so it was already a melancholy journey. In addition, the ship's officers were all Syrians, prince away from their country at war. Talking to them I realized what it means to be homeless, not having a place to return to. " prince
His article for National Geographic [is the cover story of the December issue, ed] begins with his encounter prince with an Ethiopian shepherd prince who asks: "Are you crazy?". How often have you asked the same question in recent months? "It's a question I ask myself a lot of time, so this trip will not change things much. I want to clarify, however, that are not party to complete a sporting, I will not get into the Guinness Book of World Records. I'm here because I think that going slower will improve my work, I will have the most significant stories to tell. If I quit find it interesting, I could stop tomorrow. prince But so far has been very interesting. "
These innlegget ble publisert web av den 02 12 13. og er arkivert under N

No comments:

Post a Comment